Chats

" Lets make our chats more than just words "

Sunday, 20 October 2013

Looking after one's parent/s

We all will reach a stage in our lifes when we are faced with the question of where our retired elderly parents would life after a lifetime of hard work and caring for us, their children. Well, I am sure that every person will have their own opinion about this matter. Should they stay on their own for as long as their health allow it? Should they be booked into an old age home where they have 24-7 care or do we hire a "nanny"  who could look after them at home? I personally think that the choice should be our parent's as long as they still have a clear and bright mind. They know best and would tell us when they need to make a change. 

My grandmother was in an old age home and constantly complained about untastefull food they were served and how long they had to wait for a nurse to come and take her for a bath. I could see that it was very frustrating for her to rely on the help of others while she was a very active and hardworking lady in her younger days. I've also volenteerd at a well known old age home in my neighborhood where I felt helpless when I saw the old needing help but not getting it. I gues the answer to where our parents should retire when they get too old to look after themselves, physically and mentally, lies in each one of us as we all are in different circumstances ,some of us work full time, others have the pleasure of staying at home. I personally will want my mother to stay with me at home so that I can make sure that she has everything that she needs, both mentally and physically. In the end the only thing that matter is that we look after our retired parent's welfare like they looked after us when we were little. No parent deserves to be growing old alone without a roof over their head and care and love and whatever their needs are.

No comments:

Post a Comment